12.09.2012

Halfway

On December 5th we spent the morning planting the garden. It is going to look so good! I am excited to see it in a couple years when it is fully grown. I think Morgan would love it. It gives me peace to look at it, and I just hope it does the same for the girls who will be living there. There is still some work to do on the sign. I went with Denton to get a hand carved wooden border to dress up the sign I had made. It explains the dedication to Morgan, and I think it is going to look so awesome when it's finished.

For the afternoon we finally were able to meet the girls we are building the safe house project for. They hold such a special place in my heart now. The sweetest girls. We took them to a national park to hang out and have a picnic. Watching the girls interact for only a few minutes, you can see how much they care for each oher. They get along so well, and there was so much laughter. We still haven't heard their stories, like how they have come to be where they are. But we have arranged for one of the caretakers to explain it to us. I want to know, but am also scared for what I might learn. I am sure it will be hard to hear because all I know are their smiling faces right now.

There was a waterfall at the park. It was beautiful. The girls beelined for it and started climbing it. It wasn't a huge cliff waterfall, it sort of gradually stepped up. Made for good climbing. We naturally followed the girls up the waterfall. It was incredible, but I sure felt the climb in my muscles the next day. I ended up climbing beside a couple of the younger girls and one of their caretakers. It was fun helping the girls climb and so great to see them trusting me.

After our exhilarating climb, we just hung out with the girls. We made beaded bracelets, played badminton, volleyball, and coloured. It was great to interact with the kids. They have so much life in them and I am so glad we have the opportunity to preserve that. They were so thankful for everything we did for them. It makes my heart so happy.

So onto December 6th: One of my favourites so far. We visited Mae La Refugee Camp. I cannot believe how much I missed that place. I didn't even realize it until I was back there again. The people in that camp are just so kind hearted. I wish there was more I could do for them.

We first visited Henry's school. Some of the women had clothes and bags for sale. I bought a traditional Karen shirt. We then watched a couple of performances put on by the students. Henry then brought us to a sister school of his. We watched another amazing traditional dance there, and met the wonderful principal. She is a 77 year old woman with so much fire in her eyes. This school is also where I ran into David, a boy I met last time I was here. I had done a camera project with him. I was so excited to see him, and he remembered me. He asked me if I would be back to the camp another day. I really wish I could go back to see him. I feel like I need to save him. Not that he is in any danger, but I want him to have a great, fulfilling life. There is no future for him in the camp. Once he finishes school, there will be nothing for him to do. This makes me so sad and mad at the same time.

I also met a girl from Finland who is teaching at this school. She has been there since the beginning of the school year, and lives right in the camp. She plans to stay in the area so she can help these people. I admire her more than anyone will understand. I want so much to do what she is doing. I just need to get to a stable time in my life.

From Henry's school we took a bike/scooter ride with some of the refugees through part of the camp to have lunch at one of the 'restaurants'. I had never gotten a view of the camp this way. They are a mini city. They have set up stores, and have a 'main street'. It was so interesting to see. I don't think they make much money, but it gives them something to do.

After lunch we visited Arthur's Orphanage. They told us a bit about their background. We also learned that Burma is still not safe for them to return to, which is contradicting what we are reading in the papers back home. Bu Wah, a young woman who helps take care of the children at the orphanage, told us that the peace that the government of Burma is claiming to have come to is only pretend peace. The government has not changed. There is still a civil war going on. This was all so eye opening to hear because of the garbage the news back home is telling us. They have been painting a completely different picture. The situation isbso maddening. Will I even live to see change in Burma?! It makes me want to cry to think no one is doing anything about it. The only reason the United States is infiltrating Burma is for the untapped reaources that are there. Not to help the people.

The kids of Arthur's sang us Christmas songs. And of course it was so beautiful. Their voices really tug somewhere deep inside my soul. Choking back my tears was so hard to do, but I feel like I shouldn't be crying around these people. They have been through so much, and they are smiling. Even though I am crying for them, I just can't bring myself to let the tears flow.

As soon as they finished performing one of the girls came up to me and asked if I would come see the girls' dorm. All of us girls went. We talked, gave out pictures, they put their make up on us, and braided our hair. It was lovely, but not long enough. I could hang out with them all day. The girls also made us all Karen bags. It was such an unexpected gift. I will cherish it forever. Those girls are beyond wonderful, and so kind. I want to be friends with them all forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment