12.10.2012

Ups and Downs

Today was a mix of a great day, and a sad day. We travelled to Burma for the first time. We drove in trucks with supplies that we were bringing to a school in Burma. Thailand and Burma are basically separated by a river, so we loaded up a boat and drove to the other side of the bank. We technically crossed illegally, but it was just easier. Once we got into Burma we rode on an iron ox up to the school. We were the first group to visit these kids, and it was only their third time seeing white people. We did a quick introduction, and then we split into groups. The older girls made bracelets, the older boys played games, and I played Duck Duck Goose with the younger kids. It was interesting trying to teach the game to kids aged 4 and younger who do not speak English. They were all so shy at first, understandably. Once we got rolling, though, they had a blast. It was the cutest thing! We also handed out small wooden cars to the boys, and dolls and teddy's to the girls. They all got super excited and hyper after that. The boys started driving their cars all over the place, and the girls were playing with their dolls. I showed some of the kids how to play hop skotch, as well. I hope they continue to play the games we taught them. They had so much fun, as did we. They are such sweet kids.

In the afternoon we did a distribution at Sky Blue School. I can't say much about this school online, but I can describe the emotions I felt. Seeing some of the things here makes me so mad at the Burmese government. How can there be people in this world who are so heartless? How can they do this to their own people? I get so outraged. I will never understand it, and that is what gets me so heated about it. Visiting this school is when I really start to get upset with how unfair it is. In Canada, we have absolutely nothing to worry about compared to these people. How did it get so bad? Why has it gone on so long? Why can't anyone interfere? It is just such bullshit. People hardly even know what is going on. I didn't even hear of Burma until SIAST got involved with Global Neighbors. I just want to see substantial change. Promises that are kept. It is so much easier to be peaceful than keep up this fight. They don't even know what they are fighting about anymore. It is just about power. That is so wrong. This makes me so mad I am practically crying. It is days like this where I want to go home and shake the money out of people. We can help make the lives of these people more enjoyable; worth living. Thirty dollars can change a life.

2 comments:

  1. It's a hard thing to see the absolute disregard for basic human needs. Hang in there my Girl, we are so proud of you and the caring compassionate young woman you have become!! xoxoxoxox from Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yupp..yupp..yupp KC you are awesome and doing such a wonderful job there once again!! Kacey just take one step at a time with your natural caring, compassionate nature with all and everyone you meet! Sometimes it may seem that our little things we do each and every day isn't enough....but be assured Kacey that all those little things do matter and you are doing a great job<3

    Luv,
    Aunty Mick

    ReplyDelete